Turtle Nest Monitor, Cuba - (During nesting season only: May – October)
Available in Galapagos from December – May
See also our Costa Rica Program
The sea turtle nesting monitoring project is located at El Guanal Beach, on the southern coast of the Isle of Youth, Cuba. The beach is remote, located in a protected area, and is mainly visited by Green and Loggerhead sea turtles. As a volunteer, you will walk the beach and collect data on the nesting turtles, nests, and eggs, and contribute to a recently started local sea turtle conservation initiative.
During nesting season only: May – October
6 hours every night: 10PM-4AM
- Intermediate level of Spanish
- A genuine passion for animal conservation
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Physically ability to work outdoors with potentially high sun, element, and temperature exposure
- Physical ability to walk long distances on the beach
- Ability to independently collect and register data
We encourage all volunteers to stay as long as possible to maximize local and personal benefit. Minimum stay is 1 week. We encourage longer commitments by discounting each additional week stayed. Maximum stay is 1 month.
Accommodation is provided at Villa Arrecife, our volunteer house and dive center. The house has two bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, and back patio and is located only a short walk away from the ocean and town center. You will share the house only with other volunteers. A private chef comes daily to the house to cook all meals.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more!